About the Career Center
Killingly High School is committed to providing quality Career Education in a wide variety of occupational sectors. Career-Technical education, funded with a combination of district resources, federal Perkins Grant funding and the Learning for Life Fund. Killingly is unique in our ability to offer all of the academic courses, athletic opportunities and extra curricular clubs and activities of a comprehensive public high school, while offering exemplary career-technical education and vocational education typically found in a regional tech or magnet school setting. Our focus on developing career-ready graduates includes a Career Pathway program with 29 pathway options.
Killingly's four-year curriculum in Career Education
Introduce - Investigate - Explore - Identify
- Freshmen are introduced to Career Education through presentations representing a diverse array of professions and vocations.
- Sophomores investigate career options through a series of in-school Career Presentations provided by a wide cross-section of the business and professional community from throughout the region.
- Juniors explore specific careers of their interest through interaction with the business community on Career Day, individually scheduled Job Shadow experiences in work place environments and career specific field trips to a variety of occupational sites. A completed Job Shadow is a Performance Graduation Requirement (PGR) for all KHS students. Specific Career Pathways require a job shadow exploratory experience in the specific occupational sector for Pathway Completion. Students are strongly encouraged to participate in several career presentations and job shadow experiences throughout their four years at KHS.
- With the help of Guidance and Career Counselors, Seniors identify a career path and the college, military or industry training program that will best prepare them to reach their career goal.
At KHS, we begin career exploration with three questions:
1. What do you like to do?
2. What are you good at?
3. What makes your heart sing?
When students combine their interest with talent and passion, we are on the way to discovery! We do not focus on "What do you want to do when you graduate?" Instead, the staff in the KHS Career Center work with students to help them get to know themselves, and in doing so, help them uncover the paths that will bring them the greatest level of personal satisfaction and professional success.